Launched on 21 October, 1922, the Franconia was built at the John Brown Shipyard in Clydebank, Scotland. The second ship to be named Franconia, she was 20,300 tons and over 600 ft long. Crewed by over 400 people the ship had steam turbine engines; the preferred engine choice at Cunard since Caronia of 1905.
A smart ship with an unimposing profile the ship made her maiden voyage on 23 June 1923. She could carry over 220 first class, 350 second class and 1200 third class passengers on voyages from Liverpool to New York; as well as Caribbean cruising in the off-season.
In 1933 she was used on a World Cruise, and was painted white for the occasion. The cruise was repeated in 1938.
During World War II, the ship was used as a troop ship and took part in the evacuation of Norway and France, as well as the invasion of Sicily.
Franconia carried 150,000 troops during the conflict and despite being attached by German Bombers in 1940, was undamaged. The ship was used as the allied headquarters for the Yalta Conference in Crimea; with negotiations between Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill on the re~organisation of Europe.
From 1945 to 1948 the ship was used on the war bride and family reuniting programme sailing between Europe and Canada, before returning to passenger service in June 1949 on the Liverpool to Quebec service.
The ship resumed her winter cruising and spent the summer of 1956 on voyages from New York, until she was sold for scrap in December 1956.Information supplied with thanks to C. Wallace (in 2003).